Welcome to the Integration Foundation’s Estonian language course!
We will be learning Estonian together in Estonian and through Estonian culture.
With us, you will have the chance to:
- learn Estonian and communicate in an Estonian language environment,
- boost your courage to speak,
- meet lots of nice people and find common ground with them.
ATTENDING ESTONIAN LANGUAGE COURSES
- Adults from the age of 18 are welcome to attend our courses.
- We learn Estonian in Estonian.
- Each language course can be taken only once.
- Attending the course requires regular participation in learning activities and independent work.
- Our students have different cultural backgrounds and mother tongues. Together we create a friendly and respectful learning environment.
SUCCESSFUL LANGUAGE LEARNING
- Language skills develop best when you set yourself a specific goal to achieve the desired level, invest time in learning, study independently in addition to the language course and practise communicating in Estonian every day.
- We communicate with the teacher and fellow students in Estonian as much as possible in class, during breaks and in writing.
- You can use free digital solutions (apps, websites, etc.) to support your language learning. You will find an overview of them on our website.
- Each course lasts for at least 120 academic hours, including classroom work, independent work and informal learning.
- Classes are held 2-3 times a week for 2-4 academic hours at a time.
- The schedule of classes remains the same throughout the course.
- The course consists of lessons, independent work, study visits and other activities supporting language learning.
- The teacher chooses suitable teaching materials taking into account the needs of the group.
PARTICIPATION IN CLASSES
- Attendance of a class is confirmed with the student's signature.
- If you know you will be absent from or late for a class, please notify the teacher in writing at least 24 hours in advance, explaining why.
- Following a fourth consecutive unjustified absence, the teacher considers the student to have quit the course.
- Please arrive 10 minutes before the start of the lesson so that the teacher can start it on time.
- If you are sick, please do not attend the lesson.
COMPLETING THE COURSE
- At the end of the course you can take an Estonian language level exam at the Innove Foundation (innove.ee).
- Certification of course completion is awarded to language learners who complete 75-100% of the course.
- It is possible to change a study group for reasonable cause for up to 2 weeks.
- Students who participate in 75-100% of the course can continue language learning at the next level by informing their teacher in writing of their wish to do so.
- For participants who take part in less than 75% of lessons, we recommend contacting an advisor at the Estonian Language House, who will help determine further learning opportunities.
- If you need advice and help in continuing your Estonian language studies and choosing other study opportunities, you are welcome to come in and talk to one of our advisors. To register, call the free hotline 800 9999 or e-mail [email protected].
ACTIVITIES SUPPORTING LANGUAGE LEARNING
In addition to language lessons, we invite you to participate in a range of activities in which you can practise your Estonian and meet lots of nice people all over Estonia.
Choose the activities you like from our calendar of events and sign up for them in good time:
- Film nights
- Meet-and-greets with exciting guests
- Cooking club
- Handicraft workshops
- Nature hikes
- Tours and outings
- Music club
- Parent discussion groups
- Short conversations Language roulette
- Estonian language cafés
- Estonian language and culture club
- Plus many other activities and events
Nothing makes us happier than satisfied learners who have the courage to speak Estonian and are interested in Estonian culture.