Independent language learning is suitable for those who want to learn a language on their own, as well as for those who take courses. If you wish to study Estonian independently and practice it with the help of a computer or a smart device, there are several possibilities. Here are some of them that you can use for free.
FOR THE BEGINNER
- keeleklikk.ee - an online Estonian language course for beginners, where you can study on the basis of both Russian and English.
- 50languages.com – an application for educational games and tests.
- www.eki.ee/dict/psv/pildilehed.pdf – picture dictionary for beginners: words and pictures by topic.
- mukimuri.net – simple playful tasks for beginner language learners.
FOR ADVANCED LEARNER
- keeletee.ee – online Estonian language courses for beginners and advanced, interactive exercises, animation, video, tests.
- multikey.app – language practice application to help you find chat partners and practice your language online as well as directly.
- walktalk.ee – an application that helps you find expressions for certain situations and create your own dictionary.
- k44nuk.ee – a digital grammar game and a dictionary for learning Estonian at B1, B2 and higher levels.
OTHER STUDY MATERIALS
- www.sonaveeb.ee/learn - language study materials of the Institute of the Estonian Language by topics.
- keeleressursid.ee/alias – word explanation game “ALIAS”.
- cooljugator.com/ee - various verb forms.
- kutsekeel.ee – study materials with professional vocabulary.
- web.meis.ee/vaegnagijad - material compiled for language level A2, intended for the visually impaired language learners.
- web.meis.ee/vaegkuuljad - material "Stories of Pille and Lauri" compiled for language level A2, intended for the hearing impaired language learners.
- keeleabi.eki.ee - language advice by e-mail
- 631 3731 - language advice phone, answered at 9 am - 12 pm and 1 pm - 5 pm on weekdays.
- sonaveeb.ee – language portal: new words and phrases, explanations, example sentences, neighboring words, origin information, word translation and word games.
- keeleveeb.ee – a set of different dictionaries
- filosoft.ee – dictionaries, speller, bisector
- glosbe.com – an online dictionary with a wide choice of languages
- tilde.ee - machine translation between several European languages, in 2022 Ukrainian was added
- viktoriin.meis.ee/soeltest - a multiple-choice test of grammar and vocabulary lasting 15 minutes.
- keeleabi.eki.ee/?leht=11 – literacy tests.
- web.meis.ee/testest – Estonian language proficiency tests.
You can find the list of materials above in a convenient printable format here:
The Guide for Independent Language Learning" supports you: